Fear of Flying


1Pe 5:7

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

For those who don't know me very well let me tell you that I don't like to fly. I am a fretfull flyer. I dread it. I've had terrible ear trouble on flights. I once even had an eardrum rupture. This makes for high anxiety when preparing to fly anywhere. Last year I even got a perscription for valium to take before flying but never took it. I just toughed it out.

This year it was time to fly out to see my youngest daughter in Portland Oregon. I was excited about seeing her but not excited about the flight. A day or two before the flight I was walking past the tv when 2 guys were talking about a flight they had just completed. One (the uptight cranky one) said he didn't sleep a wink. The other said he slept the whole time. This was a fictional show but still it made me stop and think... I'm like the first guy. Uptight the whole time.
I hate being that way.

So I prayed. I asked the Lord to do my worrying for me. I cast my worry, my anxiety, my cares upon Him. I reminded Him and myself that I belong to Him. I did pray for the plane and the pilot as usual but I surrendered myself to God.

Flight from San Antonio to Denver Colorado:
Plane was about 2/3 full. Mostly a smooth flight. Even when the plane bobbed or would make different sounds I reminded myself and God that I was His. I didn't fret. No racing pulse. No inner panic. Of course I never outwardly panic. I am too civilized - Ha! I made myself not watch my watch or stare at the stewardess looking for any sign of trouble. My ears didn't give me a seconds worth of trouble which is very unusual for me. Plane arrived 30 minutes early into Denver. WOW!

Flight from Denver to Portland Oregon:
Sat near 3 unaccompanied children who said things like: I smell fire, I think we are about to crash, can the pilot even see where he is going? The lady behind me told everyone her daughter's plane dropped from 30,000 ft down to 3,000 feet. The lady next to me explained she was returning from visiting her mother but ended up getting sick. I started reminding the Lord: Oh Lord, I am yours. Will you worry for me? I cast my cares upon you because I know you care for me. This flight went very smooth. Plane arrived 25 minutes early to Portland. WOW! WOW!

Not only did I have 2 very smooth, uneventfull flights, we flew nearly an hour less that expected.

I love God and I love Southwest but I'd still love to swat that kid who smelled fire.

1Pe 5:7

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment